Sep 1, 2012

Review: Essence Peel Off Base Coat

Hello, my dear readers! :) 

I mentioned in my last post that I have some swatches/reviews of some Essence products for you and today I wanna show you the one I am most excited about! 
-- The Essence Peel Off Base Coat! --

Let's see what it says on the package: 
"fast and easy change of colour and effect nail polish. this innovative, solvent-free peel off base coat allows you to peel off your nail polish whenever you want, wherever you are! no remover needed!"

Sounds pretty good! Of course any nail polish addict will think of one thing now: glitter polish!!! We all know it's freaking hard and annoying to remove glitter polish, so this base coat may be the solution to our problem, right? :)

The instructions are very easy to follow: first apply a generous layer of this base coat and allow it to dry for 10 minutes and then just apply the polish of your choice! 

Here's a bottle shot + the package it came in. When you apply it on your nails it's white just like in the bottle. After it dries it's completely transparent.

(I hate to show my naked nails, but I kinda have to for this review...see what I'm willing to do for you guys ? :P)
To test this base coat of course I tried out glitter polish but also a dark navy blue, to see how the base coat prevents staining!

After I applied this "test mani", I actually started to really like it :D Maybe I'll wear this as a full mani soon ;)

I let it dry and also wore it for an hour or 2 before starting to peel it off. I used an orange stick to lift the edges near my cuticles. I tried to remove it in one piece, but that doesn't really work, so I just kept using my orange stick until the polish was completely off my nail. 

I have to say I'm very impressed! My nails looked very clean, without any polish or glittery mess left! It's very easy to peel off the polish once you lift up the edges, until then it stays perfect in place!

On the package there is a little advice: 
"avoid hot water for 3 hours after application"
So keep that in mind when painting your nails ;) 

The peel off base coat costs 2,25€ here in Germany and I have to say I'm very glad I bought it! I can wear glittery polishes more often now and avoid the messy removal! Yes! :D

So that's it for today, I hope this review was helpful for some of you! And let me know if you'll go buy it or if you have it and like it as much as I do! ;) 

Have a great weekend! x 

27 comments:

  1. I like it too but I was really hoping the polish would just peel off in one big strip! I'm going to test the PVA glue and see if that works :) Happy to discover this, though! Might wear more glitter now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoped that too, but oh well, it's still awesome :D I will test the glue thing too! ;)

      Delete
  2. Problem with this base coat can be how long will the manicure last. But, as you said, It can be great for the glitter polishes. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't wear it for long, but it really stuck to the nail and I couldn't lift the edges with my other nails. I had to use an orange stick :)

      Delete
  3. I keep seeing really good reviews on this stuff. I can't seem to find it anywhere. I wonder if it's only sold oversees? Or maybe I'm just blind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I recently found out that my Ulta sells a limited selection of Essence, but haven't seen the base coat - maybe it has not been released yet over here?

      Delete
    2. I live in the states and couldn't get it either but after some research I found out it's the same ingredients as Elmers school glue so after a trip to walmart and filling up an empty bottle I tried it out. It worked great. Also Elmer's is non toxic so their shouldn't be any issues with longtime wear and it's water based so if you want it slightly thinner just add water and give the bottle a shake. I have used it several times and haven't had any issues just make sure you don't use any type of regular base coat under it or it won't peel off properly. I hope this helps.

      Delete
    3. @Kaki: Maybe they will release it a lil bit later over there :) Until then, try that crafts glue thing, it seems to work the same ;)

      Delete
    4. @Kelly: It just came out here, maybe it just takes longer to get to you too :D

      @cstatum: Awesome tip, thanks! :)

      Delete
  4. This base coat is really great, but you can only wear it for max. 2 days until it starts peeling off. But great swatch, I love this blog :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well 2 days is enough :D And thank you so much!!! :)

      Delete
  5. Phew. I was a bit nervous about reading this review as I just bought this polish to help with glitter removal. Glad you gave it a good review! And I also loved the manicure you tested this on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it, you will love it! ;) And thank you! :)

      Delete
  6. Site is very important to read for knowledge
    Same here! I recently found out that my Ulta sells a limited selection of Essence, but haven't seen the base coat - maybe it has not been released yet over here? nail polish bottles



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems it hasn't been released yet :) You can try the craft glue instead until then ;)

      Delete
  7. wow! never seen that here and SO want it! what a dream it is with that glitter polish :D great idea and fab review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! It will make life a lot easier with glitter polishes :P

      Delete

  8. visit a good blog and full of interesting information that is happiness itself .... keep on sharing information

    ReplyDelete
  9. This base coat and your review are just what I have been looking for. I have a coupon from my drugstore and I didn't know what to buy it but now I know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been using Elmer's Glue as a base since reading about others using it as a dupe for the Essence. It has lasted for almost a week once, until doing the dishes, then giving my kid a bath, and then taking a shower without letting my nails dry out in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it yet, but I really have to! And it lasted one week? That is pretty awesome!!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for this review, I realy need it now :-) And I'm realy wonder how long it takes to arrive to Czech Republic..
    And your nail design is great ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this craft glue everyone is talking about is just as good! And cheaper I think ;)
      Thank you!! ;)

      Delete
  12. Hi Theodora,I read your review when you originally posted it,but hadn't received my Essence POBC yet.I've been googling tonight,researching all the reviews,to see what I might be doing wrong,because my glitter bomb won't come off. Now I see you applied the POBC very generously to your nails,and am wondering if that is what I didn't do. I noticed how white it was when applied,and didn't think of applying more than one coat. I also followed the "no hot water 3 hours after application" .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! :) Hmm, I don't know what could have gone wrong, but yes, I applied a really thick layer of this base coat. So maybe, you did a layer that was too thin? Try it out! :)

      Delete

Hello you, yes you! I love reading your comments, so don't be shy, just leave me one ;)